Happy Birthday, Jacob!
Happy 9th Birthday, Jacob!
It seems like a fitting time to tell the story of Jacob. It's the story of how he became the donor but also a story about who Jacob is becoming as a person.
I'll tell it in a few parts, as it's a long and winding road.
After this past year, it's hard not to see a miracle in Jacob. I've personally stumbled over the force of his will at times. I can be frustrated by the fact that he is so strong willed and decisive. Can't you just let me pick out your socks? Can't you just eat your dinner? Can't you just follow the rules? Can't you just go with the flow? Can't you just stop arguing?
I wish I knew. I wish I knew that it would be exactly that immovable will that would change him (and us) this year. The courage to face his fears came from the depth of his convictions. He set his mind to the fact that he felt called to help his brother - in a way that no one else could - and he never wavered from it. This is who he was created to be. On his sixth birthday post, I wrote "He's fiercely independent, passionately driven, and deeply convicted. He's our boy with fire in his soul. Not easily tamed, but I'm learning the privilege of being warmed by his flame."
| 2020 |
It's true - Jacob is, and always has been, fiercely independent, passionately driven, and deeply convicted. He has fire in his soul and his core is steel. At the same time, he's the most affectionate, loving and considerate kid I know. He is exactly who he has always been. But this year, we all learned the power of his strength and the force of good that he will be in the world by just being himself. If you're lucky enough to be loved by Jacob, you'll be loved forever, with a ferociousness that will occasionally take your breath away. And maybe save your life. He has the gift of being deeply convicted and the courageousness to see it through. What a powerful combo.
To Jacob, on his golden birthday, you're our hero! Your example is one of courage and bravery in the face of unspeakable fear. Not many people have the opportunity to give so selflessly of themselves to another person. You have warmed all of us with your flame. The intense love that you share so freely with those around you is your gift and the depth of your convictions will take you so far. Thank you for sharing a little bit of your bravery with us. If being eight made you a hero, I can't wait to see what nine will hold!
| 2022 |
Comments
Post a Comment